Winter

Pine forest

All Rights reserved.

Pinus cembra, also known as Swiss pine, Swiss stone pine or Arolla pine, is a species of pine tree that grows in the Alps and Carpathian Mountains of central Europe, in Poland (Tatra Mountains), Switzerland, France, Italy, Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Slovakia (Tatra Mountains), Ukraine and Romania. It typically grows at 1,200 metres to 2,300 metres altitude. It often reaches the alpine tree line in this area. The mature size is typically between 25 metres and 35 metres in height, and the trunk diameter can be up to 1.5 metres.

Beds and furniture made of Pinus cembra are very popular within the Alpine region of Europe as scientific studies of Joanneum Research in 2003 have shown that exposure to a Swiss Stone Pine can improve sleep by saving you up to 3,500 heart beats per night making nights more restful and restorative.

The Swiss pine is a popular ornamental tree in parks and large gardens, giving steady though not fast growth on a wide range of sites where the climate is cold. It is very tolerant of severe winter cold, hardy down to at least −50 °C, and also of wind exposure. The seeds are also harvested and sold as pine nuts and can be used to flavor schnapps.
[Source: Wikipedia]

Canon EOS 60D
Sigma 18-250mm F3,5-6,3 DC Makro OS HSM
Aperture: f/10
Exposure time: 1/250s
Focal length: 18mm
ISO Speed: 100
Processed with PS CC 2014

 

City of Thun

The city of Thun, which is located at the lower end of Lake Thun, is the gate to the Bernese Oberland. The historic Old Town is situated about one kilometer from the shore of the lake, on the river Aare. There is a castle in the center of the Old Town that dates back to the 12th century and boasts a museum.

The first settlement arose on today’s site of the city as early as 2,500 BC. The mighty castle was constructed by the Dukes of Zähringen. It has a fortification tower built between 1180 and 1190. The halls of the tower house a historical museum that exhibits artifacts from prehistory and early history as well as medieval objects, weapons and uniforms from the 18th and 19th century, a ceramic collection and a toy exhibition. The castle’s most splendid exhibit is the restored Knights Hall, dating to the 12th century.

Further sights in the Old Town include the town church with its tower dating back to about 1330, the town hall from the 16th century, the Old Town itself and the numerous restaurants and cafés along the Aare River.

The Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau rise majestically across Lake Thun, over which glides a historic paddle steamer. The castle and city church proudly dominate the late-medieval Old Town.
[Source: myswitzerland.com]

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure time: 1/320s
Focal length: 17mm
ISO Speed: 100
Processed with PS CC 2014

High above

Flight from Thun over the Gemmi pass to Sion (Canton of Valais) and via the rhone valley, Martigny, Col du Pillon, Simmental back to Thun.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure time: 1/640s
Focal length: 17mm
ISO Speed: 100
Processed with PS CC 2014

Gornergrat

All Rights reserved.

Gornergrat

The Gornergrat (English: Gorner Ridge; 3,135 m) is a rocky ridge of the Pennine Alps, overlooking the Gorner Glacier south of Zermatt in Switzerland. It can be reached from Zermatt by the Gornergrat rack railway, the highest open-air railway in Europe. Between the Gornergrat railway station (3,090 m) and the summit is the Kulm Hotel (3,120 m) hosting the new Project “Stellarium Gornergrat” and until 2010 the Kölner Observatorium für SubMillimeter Astronomie KOSMA and before that (until 2005) the Gornergrat Infrared Telescope.

It is located about three kilometers east of Zermatt in the Swiss canton of Valais. The Gornergrat is located between the Gornergletscher and Findelgletscher and offers a view of more than 20 four-thousand metre peaks, whose highest are Monte Rosa, Lyskamm, Matterhorn, Dom and Weisshorn.

This is the last stop of the Gornergrat train, opened in 1898, which climbs almost 1500m through Riffelalp and Riffelberg. At the terminus (3,089 m above sea level) on the south-western tip of the ridge is a hotel. The station forms part of the Zermatt ski area. From 1958 to 2007 there was a cable car from Gornergrat over the Hohtälli to the Stockhorn which, until the construction of the Klein Matterhorn cable car, was the highest mountain station in Zermatt. At the west side of the Gorner ridge, nearby the Rotenboden trainstation is the Riffelhorn peak.
Source: Wikipedia]

Canon EOS 60D
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Aperture: f/9
Exposure time: 1/500s
Focal length: 10mm
ISO Speed: 100
Processed with PS CC 2014

Grindelwald (Snow Bivouac IV)

Fourth and last pic of our snow bivouac adventure. Stunning night view onto the village of Grindelwald. Exposure time almost 15 minutes, shortly before the full moon rose…

Grindelwald is a village and municipality in the Interlaken-Oberhasli administrative district in the canton of Bern in Switzerland. Besides the village of Grindelwald, the municipality also includes the settlements of Alpiglen, Burglauenen, Grund, Itramen, Mühlebach, Schwendi, Tschingelberg and Wargistal. Grindelwald village is located at 1,034 m above sea level in the Bernese Alps.

The tourism industry began in Grindelwald in the late 18th century as foreigners discovered the scenic town. Pictures of the vistas were widely reprinted, quickly making the village internationally famous. In the 19th century many Englishmen came to the village to climb the alpine peaks around the valley. The Finsteraarhorn (4,274 m), the Wetterhorn (3,692 m), the Eiger (3,970 m), the Schreckhorn (4,078 m) and the Gross Fiescherhorn (4,049 m) were all climbed during the 19th century.
The Grindelwald road was built in 1860–72, and the Bernese Oberland railway reached the village in 1890, both of which transformed an arduous journey into a simple trip and allowed tourists to flood into the village. The first resort opened in 1888, there were 10 hotels in 1889, and by 1914 there were 33 in Grindelwald. A rack railway was built to Kleine Scheidegg in 1893, and it was expanded to the Jungfraujoch in 1912. Numerous ski lifts, cable cars, hiking trails and alpine huts were built in the late 19th and 20th centuries to allow tourists to explore the mountains. Today, almost the entire economy of Grindelwald is based on tourism.
[Source: Wikipedia]

Canon EOS 60D
Sigma 18-250mm F3,5-6,3 DC Makro OS HSM
Aperture: f/4
Exposure time: 848s
Focal length: 18mm
ISO Speed: 100
Manfrotto Tripod
Processed with PS CC 2014

Older Posts →
← No Newer Posts